These simple marinated brinjals are great with anything… snack platters, cheese boards, sandwiches, salads, pastas….
- 4 brinjals/eggplants/aubergines (or whatever else you want to call them)
- 1 cup salt
- 2 cups water + 1 cup boiled water
- 1 clove of garlic, sliced
- 1 tsp oregano (or other herbs)
- 1 tsp smoked chipotle (or any chilli flakes)
- 3 tsp white wine vinegar
- 2 Tbsp coconut sugar
- 2 tsp Nutritional yeast
- 1 cup olive oil
How to make them:
- Cut the brinjals in half long-ways.
- Slice the brinjal halves into 0,5 cm half moon slices
- Add 2 cups water and 1 cup of salt to a large bowl, and mix until the salt is dissolved.
- Place the slices of brinjal in the salty water and leave to soak for 20 min.
- Remove the brinjals and rinse well with fresh water, and let dry
- Grease a baking tray with olive oil and place the brinjals in one even layer.
- Drizzle with olive oil
- Roasted for 30 min in an oven preheated to 180°C.
- Allow brinjals to cool for 10-15 min and then remove from baking tray and place in a clean glass jar
- In a separate bowl, mix the boiled water and coconut sugar, until the sugar is mostly dissolved.
- Add the garlic, oregano (or other herbs), smoked chipotle, white wine vinegar, coconut sugar, Nutritional yeast to the water-coconut sugar mixture and combine well.
- Add the olive oil to the marinade and whisk until all well mixed
- Pour the marinade over the brinjals. close the jar tightly and give the jar a shake so that all brinjals are well coated with all yummy flavours
- Keep the marinated brinjals in the fridge for up to 10 days (if they even last that long). They get most delicious after marinating in the fridge for about 2-3 days.