Chickpeas or garbanzo beans or Ceci beans, Bengal grams or Egyptian peas, regardless of the name, they are wonderous little things.
They’re full of goodness – per 100g they have 19g protein and 17g dietary fiber. They’re also rich in minerals like iron, zinc, magnesium, folate, and phosphorous, and have a good source of essential vitamins like thiamin, riboflavin, niacin, vitamin C, A, B6, B12, and vitamin K.
…All this and they are so tasty and versatile…
One of my favourite ways to chomp on these are roasted like nuts. Here’s how…
What you need
- 1 can of chickpeas
- 1 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- Your choice of spices and seasonings (my favourite is a few drops of smoke essence (From Woolworths), a teaspoon of BBQ spice and a light sprinkling of smoked chilli flakes)
How to make them
- Preheat the oven to 180°C.
- Drain and rinse the chickpeas
- Place the chickpeas into an oven-proof baking dish, and toss together with the olive oil and seasonings
- Roast them for 30 minutes if you want crunchy but still tender-inside chickpeas great for salads and soups, or roast them for an extra 20-30 minutes (50-60 minutes total) for a delicious crispy, nut-like snack.
- Once they are all golden and roastey and crispy, take them out of the oven and allow to cool.
- Once completely cooled, they’re ready to munch!